Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Memory Keeper Box

The same day I got this box in the mail, I covered it with paper and had it ready to give to a friend. My best friend's mother recently lost her husband. David had been in the hospital for over a month and Kathy had kept a journal every day. The journal was a steno pad, completely filled, some pages front and back. When the steno pad was full, she wrote on lose paper and stuck in in the back. The tattered book was in her purse for weeks after his death. As soon as I saw it, I knew she needed a safe place to store this treasure. I made this box with silhouette paper and some papers from the travel paper pack. The strip of aluminum, the decorative corner, and one chipboard shape are from my stash. Oh, and the keys are actually vintage keys that I got in Sweden when I was in college. I have been saving them for a special project like this. I inked the edges and used a sponge to make it look a bit more distressed, but I left the chipboard letters stark white to match box. I really love this memory keeper box. I took it to my workshop that night and the ladies were astonished that I had finished it so quickly (I used a card with an old piece of sheet music, it was already assembled and I glued it to the top). They asked if we could do these in a workshop. I love it that the boxes are less than $7, this makes them a perfect workshop item! Enjoy!! If you have any questions, please ask!

(I haven't given it to Kathy yet, the roads have been to icy to take it to her.)



3 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow, what a sweet story. This box is just beautiful! I am sure she will treasure it.

Cathy Gill said...

Wonderful Memory box and story.
Cathy

Cassie said...

what a thoughtful gift!!