Sunday, December 21, 2008

Inspired by It's a Wonderful Life



For this week's Cinema Saturday Challenge the movie is "It's a Wonderful Life." I wish I could say that I really love this movie and I've seen it dozens of times, but I haven't...not even once. I've recently realized that there are a lot of classic movies that I have never seen....

I am done making my Christmas cards this year and most of my Christmas papers have already been sorted and put away for the year, but I got them back out for this project. I actually didn't use very much scrapbooking paper for this canvas. I decided that it would be really cool to take my old greeting cards and make something with them. So I used my 1" punch to make little 'inchies' for this canvas.

I painted the canvas red. This was inspired by Ali Edwards. I love her work. I used some green mixed with the red to create some contrast in the paint. I left an approximate 1" border around the edges of the canvas.


While the paint was drying, I got out my baggie full of minis. These are scraps, charms and small pieces of ribbon left over from making my Christmas cards and gifts. I also got out the old Christmas cards from family and friends I have been saving from the past 2 years. My in-laws recently gave me a stack of their old cards too! I used my 1" punch and a round punch to find things on the cards that I liked.
My cat was starving for my attention, I couldn't get him off my work area!!





I spread out all of my favorites on the bed and put together the inchies using words from the cards, scraps of ribbon, and brads. I used lots of foam squares to give each inchie some dimension. For variety, when I put them on the canvas, I put some simple ones and some fancy ones. I tried to spread them out. Also, I made the 5th row using slightly larger squares. I love these greeting cards, lots of them have glitter and embossing!!







I am so glad that I had this movie challenge to finally inspire me to make this canvas. I incorporated ideas from lots of other places too. I really like how it turned out. It is a nice holiday decoration that I can hang up in the living room.

8 comments:

Stamp Your Art Out said...

Nellie, you are so creative! I haven't had a chance to visit your blog for about three posts and I'm just amazed at how talented you are. I love it all!

Hugs,
Yvonne

Ann said...

Wow! This is awesome! I never make stuff like this, but you've inspired me to try.

I can't believe you've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life"! Watch it next time it's on TV. It will really warm your heart.

Merry Christmas! :D

SmilynStef said...

What a cool holiday canvas ... love it.

Tethered2Home said...

That is such a clever idea for old christmas cards. Also, can't believe you haven't seen that movie, it's gotta be on some channel this week, or hit the video store, heart warming classic! Be well!

Ophthalmologist said...

This is awesome! You perfectly caught the spirit of the movie by choosing all those little favorite things in your life, and you caught the movie's spirit in a really outside-the-box way!

Becky said...

WOW! How clever! I love it!

Brooke S said...

LOVE the collage what a great vintage feel it has.. It just pick up an all the special little things if christmas. I always have such a hard time knowing what to do with all the Christmas card and pictures I get.. Maybe I could try a scrapbook page like this project to help with all the years of collecting I have done...

Hugs
Brooke

Cassie said...

oh-i love this!! so much fun!!