Sunday, July 15, 2012

Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookie + Tuxedo Brownie

Okay so you know how sometimes you have an idea and you want to use what you have on hand to make something special so you combine two recipes? Well I decided to combine the Pampered Chef (R) Tuxedo Brownies with the Cake Mix Red Velvet Cookies and top it with a fresh blackberry.

I used my mini muffin pan sprayed with cooking spray and dropped a scoop of the cookie mix into bake. After about 8 or nine minutes, I took it out of the oven and pressed an indention into the top. After they had cooled a few minutes, I used a knife around the edges to help me loosen them out. I only baked six at first to make sure it would work. I tasted one. It was a little bland so I threw in some chocolate chips. YUM! (white chocolate chips would've been good too). I'm calling them red velvet brownie bites, but if you want to get technical, they are really just cookies masquerading as brownies. If you want to get a real red velvet brownie recipe, I'm sure one exists....I just wanted to use up a boxed cake mix.

After baking the rest of the cookie mix, I let them cool completely. Before the event, I made up the tuxedo brownie topping and let it chill in a big zip lock in the fridge for a few hours. Then I piped it into the red velvet brownie cups and topped everything with a fresh blackberry. A raspberry would've been pretty too, but I had been blackberry picking that morning!

I took this beautiful plate of delicious treats to a Pinterest(R) Anonymous class and realized that it wasn't actually from Pinterest....and everyone loved them so much, I decided to make a blog post about it, just so I could share it with the crowd. 

Follow me on Pinterest for other recipes from the event: http://pinterest.com/nellie_mitchell/



 Ingredient list:
For cookie/brownie mix:
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package Red Velvet cake mix
  • 2 large eggs
  •  1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Bake in preheated oven for 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees in well-greased mini muffin pan.

For cream filling:
2   square white chocolate for baking
2   tbsp milk
8   oz  cream cheese, softened
1/4   cup  powdered sugar
1   cup thawed, frozen whipped topping
1   pint berries
Combine white chocolate and milk in large microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir until smooth; cool slightly. In large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar; mix well. Gradually stir in white chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
Pipe cream cheese mixture into brownie cups; top with strawberries. Refrigerate 1-3 hours before serving.