Friday, May 14, 2010

Guest Blogger: Not So Still Life

 I am so excited for you to read this guest post! My friend Josie has an amazing spirit. She is so passionate, dedicated, talented and extremely fun. We can literally talk for hours and hours. She inspires me as a teacher, artist and woman....she is so incredible! I cannot say enough great things about her! To read more about her, visit her blog: Call and Response. Thanks Josie for your beautiful guest post! I can't wait to try this! ~Nellie





Not so Still Life   I am an artist and teacher, much like my good friend Nellie. She inspires me. Art teachers often have to teach this idea of “still life”, you know, oranges and lemons in bowls, piles of seemingly random junk cleverly arranged on wooden tables, flowery table cloths, or chipped-paint shelves.    One of my missions as an artist and teacher is to take old ideas and try new mediums and processes to put my own spin on that old (OK, “traditional”) idea. I was stuck one day in my studio, and first looked for a surface to play on. I found a piece of plexiglass. I had a sharpie in my hand, and as I walked back to my table, I saw my shelf full of art supplies through the plexiglass.  So I stopped in my tracks, propped the plexi on my hip, and traced my stuff as I saw it THROUGH the plexi directly ONTO the plexi with the black sharpie.  I next considered painting with acrylics, but wanted something more tactile and time-consuming. I turned to a big box of yarn and went crazy, first gluing down the contours with black yarn, then filling in with whatever colors I felt like using at the time.I am excited by what is happening. The lines give these usually boring objects some intense energy. It is taking many hours to complete, but the process has been both a design challenge and a meditative exercise for me in this crazily-scheduled spring. And bonus, a happy accident!    I noticed that the yarn was starting to peel off the plexiglass, intact because the glue was holding it all together. I hope that when it is finished soon, I will be able to peel the whole piece off like a band-aid and tack it up on the wall.

No comments: